Chakras are energy centers located inside the body along the spine and connected to organs as well as parts of the body. There are seven main chakras – root, sacral, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye, and crown. They spin, vibrate, and give and receive energy. Each one has a function and determines the overall health of the mind and body.
Healing through the chakras can be done through bodywork, journaling, affirmations, food, aromatherapy, self-care techniques, and action steps.
Root Chakra – The Foundation of Existence – Saturn
The root chakra is located at your perineum (between the genitals and anus) and points downward. It is connected to the feet, legs, base of spine, coccygeal plexus, perineum (in men), cervix (in women), and the adrenal glands.
The root is related to issues of safety, family, and money. A balanced root chakra involve feeling safe and secure in ones body; physically balanced; comfortable around biological or chosen family; and experiencing abundance. When imbalanced, there are feelings of fear, instability, and lack. There may be issues with the organs associated with the root.
Healing the Root Chakra
- Affirmation: I am grounded, safe, and secure.
- Self-care: stand and walk around barefoot; massage the feet and legs; dance.
- Food: Eat beans, nuts and seeds.
- Essential Oils: Sandalwood, patchouli, frankincense
- Action Steps:
- Journal about your relationship with money and family. Include the good and bad.
- Surround yourself with genuine people.
- Consider therapy to work through issues with family, money, or safety.
- Get a financial education. Read Suze Orman, Dave Ramsey, Robert Kiyosaki, or Brandon Copeland to learn about debt reduction, investing, and wealth building. Visit financial education libraries at Fidelity, Charles Schwab, or Ameritrade.
- Learn and practice yoga, martial arts, Tai Chi, Qigong, or self defense.
- Develop a daily routine or cultivate patience (Capricorn)
- Volunteer to help the poor or elderly (Aquarius)
Sacral Chakra – Healing the Inner Child – Jupiter
Creativity is connected to the sacral chakra. It is located at the top of the pubic mound and regulates reproductive fertility, abundance of creative, intuition, and emotions. The ovaries, uterus, testes, spleen, and urinary tract are connected to the sacral.
The feelings of joy, pleasure, and emotionally secure are signs of a healthy sacral. The inability to feel or release emotions; no creative outlet or not completing a project; and addiction to sugar, shopping, sex, or comfort foods are symbolic of an imbalance.
Healing the Sacral Chakra
- Affirmation: I am creative. I enjoy the pleasures of life.
- Self-care: Caress your body.
- Food: Water, fruit and vegetable juice, and herbal teas.
- Essential Oils: orange, bergamot, ylang-ylang, mandarin
- Action Steps:
- Journal using images rather than words about your feelings about an issue.
- Draw, paint, bake, or sew.
- Allow yourself to feel your emotions, practice empathy (Pisces)
- Reflect on your beliefs, study what you are passionate about, be adventurous (Sagittarius)
Solar Plexus – The Source of Power and Abundance – Mars
The solar plexus chakra holds the power to act. It is located at the bottom of your sternum and is related to will power, confidence, and discernment. The stomach, liver, gall bladder, small intestine, and pancreas are connected to the solar plexus.
A strong self-esteem, having self-control, and being thoughtful are indications of a balanced solar plexus. Issues of rage, being controlling, having low self-esteem, not feeling comfortable saying no, and being critical of others will signify an imbalance. When your sacral and solar plexus chakras are healed, you act with on your emotions with confidence.
Healing the Solar Plexus
- Affirmation: I am powerful and use power wisely. I am confident.
- Self-care: Spend an entire day doing something you love.
- Food: Eat whole grains, like oats, quinoa, amaranth, teff.
- Essential Oils: grapfruit, lemon, ginger
- Action Steps:
- Journal what makes you angry and what brings you complete joy.
- Do something outside your comfort zone.
- Reflect on your emotional attachments (Scorpio)
- Focus on a goal to achieve, make a plan, and take action to accomplish goal (Aries)
Heart Chakra – Love Is Kind and Unconditional – Venus
The heart chakra is the center of love, compassion, and forgiveness. Compassion is taking action to heal suffering; forgiveness is not taking on burdens. There are different types of love: self, love of family, friends, and strangers.
The heart chakra is located at the heart; minor chakras are in the palms of the hand. The lungs, arms, hands, and thymus are also included.
A balanced heart chakra means giving and receiving love without expectations. Imbalances occur as fear of having relationships, being miserly with time and money, and not being loving or lovable.
Healing the Heart
- Affirmation: I love all beings unconditionally. I love myself.
- Self-care: Taking care of yourself first, i.e., not putting others before the self and being too exhausted to care for the self; playing with animals; volunteerism.
- Food: Green vegetables, like kale, spinach, and broccoli.
- Essential Oils: peppermint, lavender, chamomile, jasmine, rose, geranium
- Action Steps:
- Journal about the first memory of your first crush or being broken-hearted.
- Increase selfcare, i.e., give yourself a mani pedi, foot massage, or take yourself out on a date.
- Enjoy the pleasures of life responsibly, sing, or recite poetry aloud. (Taurus)
- Balance mind, body and spirit through spiritual practices; take up a social cause; create art; and spend time with people who are loving and supportive. (Libra)
Throat Chakra – Sharing Your Truth – Mercury
Listening and speaking are connected to the throat chakra, which is located at the center of the neck, the throat chakra is the area of verbal communication. The throat, neck, thyroid, ears, and nose are included. Healing the throat chakra also heals the heart and solar plexus because of the location of the lungs and diaphragm.
Notice how you may admire people who communicate from a place of love and confidence. This is true for writers, singers and public speakers.
When the throat chakra is balanced you breath freely, communicate clearly, and listen actively. One is imbalanced when there is hesitation to speak up. It could show up as having a hard time swallowing or speaking.
Healing the Throat Chakra
- Affirmation: I know my truth and share it.
- Self-care: Sing, read aloud, chant mantras, listen to music, and spend 10 minutes in silence.
- Food: Fresh fruit
- Essential Oils: rosemary, peppermint
- Action Steps:
- Journal about what you have been keeping a secret.
- Write a memoir or autobiography.
- Master a skill; be organized where there is chaos (Virgo)
- Practice listening; do handcrafts or play an instrument; bake bread from scratch; write poetry, short stories, or articles; do public speaking (Gemini)
Third Eye – Daydreaming Is Good for the Soul – Sun & Moon
The third eye, or ajna, is located between the eyebrows. The third eye controls dreams, visions, insight, and the physical manifestation of emotions and thoughts. The eyes, pituitary, hypothalamus, and autonomic nervous system are connected to the third eye chakra.
Being imaginative, visual, and dreaming vividly are indications of a balanced third eye. A weak memory, lack of imagination, constant daydreaming, or not being able to visualize indicate an imbalance.
Healing the Third Eye
- Affirmation: It is safe for me to see.
- Self-care: Rest the eyes, i.e., no computer, cell phone, or reading.
- Food: None, but spend time outdoors gazing at trees, birds, and clouds; look at art.
- Essential Oils: lavender, rosemary, peppermint
- Action Steps:
- Journal about your dreams. Include colors and textures.
- Draw, paint; daydream; make a vision board, keep a dream journal
- Creatively express yourself (cooking, sewing, singing) and share with others (Left side/Ida: Moon, Cancer)
- Empower others by doing what you love. (Right side/Pingala: Sun, Leo)
Crown Chakra – The World Is Your Teacher – The Universe/God/Goddess/Source/The One/All That Is/Higher Power/ Divine
The crown chakra is located at the top of the head and includes the pituitary gland, pineal gland, and brain. This is the energy center of knowing, intellect, thinking, learning, and teaching. The crown charka is the connection to cosmic consciousness, or the Divine. God. Mother Goddess.
Escapism (television and Internet), over-thinking, having a rigid belief system, or not using logic are indications of an imbalance. Living peacefully, expanding the mind through study, and being open-minded are signs of balance.
Healing the Crown
- Affirmation: I am one with the universe. I am all-knowing.
- Self-care: Meditation and yoga
- Food: None, but learn something new that challenges the mind.
- Essential Oils: Frankincense, vertiver, cedarwood
- Action Steps:
- The Ascendant/Rising sign
The chakras are powerful energy centers. Patience is required to heal issues related to them. Nothing can be healed overnight. The techniques above are only places to start.
Learning about who you are through studying your sidereal natal chart will provide deeper understanding about who you are at the soul level.
Counseling is helpful if the imbalances involve feelings of lethargy and depression. Overall, healing can be achieved when a practice is put into place.