Saturn is misunderstood. Historically, he has been feared because he represents boundaries, delays, and obstacles. In reality, Saturn is a healer. He pokes at the reason we have wounds so we have more awareness of why we were hurt to prevent further damage. His ultimate goal is to help us get out of harm’s way. Life moves smoother after the hard work of healing has been completed.
Rings In The Sky
This outer planet can be seen with the naked eye, but telescopic vision is necessary to see this gaseous planet with rings made of gas and rock. In Vedic mythology, Saturn is the son of the Sun and shadow side of the moon. In retrospect, Saturn’s heredity includes vitality, creative self-expression, nurturing, and being intuitive. His mineral composition could be indicative of his masculine and feminine energy.
Saturn’s feminine side is Capricorn, which is earthy, patient, hardworking, and persistent. Aquarius, his masculine side, is charitable; intuitive; and enjoys astrology; and has unique and innovative ideas, especially related to technology.
The planet governs time, structure, infrastructure, government, agriculture, and the elderly and poor. On a physical level, Saturn is related to bones, muscles, skin, and hair. Spiritually, he is connected to the root chakra, which affects home, money, food, family, and safety.
As a healer, Saturn is taking his time to reveal cracks in the foundations of life, as it is necessary to have a solid base so whatever is built upon it is long lasting.
Saturn is in a house for 2.5 years and takes 29.5 years to transit all twelve signs. He is literally working around the zodiacal clock, like a shaman doing soul retrieval. Wherever Saturn is he also transits the 3rd, 7th, and 10th houses from there, so he touches a house more than once in his transit. Example: Saturn is in Capricorn from 2020 – 2022 and is currently aspecting Pisces, Cancer, and Libra.
As a collective, we are guided to be patient and persistent about healing the following:
- Capricorn — physical bodies and governmental institutions
- Pisces — healthy practices towards inner peace, different ways of expressing emotions
- Cancer — selfcare, relying on intuition, and nurturing and being compassionate towards others
- Libra — seeking justice for wrongdoing, artistic expression, and balanced thoughts
This healing is not singular, as this is an interplay with transits and aspects of other planets.
Working With Saturn
Many people overlook Saturn, but do not realize that he is one our side to improve life. Delays and obstacles occur because something needs to be addressed, released, or discovered. We are at a critical time now where the practices below can help the collective heal life on a personal level.
- spiritual practices like yoga, meditation, and pranayama
- drawing, pottery, knitting/crochet, painting, musical instrument
- aerobic exercise in the form of walking, jogging, bicycle, jump rope
- eating grounding food: carrots, sweet potatoes, beets, purple potatoes, yams, cassava
- aromatherapy with sandalwood, ylang-ylang, patchouli, lavender, bergamot, rose
- mental health care: therapy, positive people, unplugging from news and social media
- earthwork: spending time outdoors in park; gardening or working with house plants; being near rivers, oceans, or waterfalls
Saturn previous transit was in Sagittarius between 2017 and 2020. It aspected Aquarius, Gemini, and Virgo. The collective was healing issues (loosely) related to beliefs, technology, social media, lawsuits, innocence, and social welfare of others, e.g., the second wave of the Me Too Movement.
Regardless of what it’s called — healing the inner child, shadow work, cleaning out basement — Saturn is there helping to fix the problem. He is a healer slowing us down so we see the blind spots and blemishes. Saturn is saying, “Take some time to work hard at improving your life. There is something better waiting for you.” It is time we be become more aware of Saturn’s grace and listen.